Skip to main content

International Scholars


Taiwan is rich in Chinese and East-Asian cultural heritage as well as contemporary, global perspectives. Geographically, the island is roughly the size of Switzerland. For centuries, Taiwan has been an important node on maritime routes connecting North Asia, South-East Asia and North America. Today, Taiwan is a dynamic hub amidst the Asia-Pacific region’s strongest economies. The world’s second largest economy, China, is located right across the Taiwan Strait; Japan, the third biggest, is a close neighbor too. We would like to sincerely welcome you to become part of our international family. I hope you’ll find that NCNU is indeed a fantastic place in which to pursue your intellectual, social and personal interests, to expand your cultural horizons and to have fun.

For years many distinguished scholars and researchers have joined NCNU's academic community from different corners of the world. As one of NCNU's International Scholars, your presence contributes new possibilities to our learning environment. In addition to teaching and research, if you are looking for a place full of opportunities for you to make the most of your East-Asian experience, you've come to the right place. During your stay, you will have the chance to explore and experience the culture, society and people of this multi-faceted island.

Please contact Office of International and Cross-Strait Affairs, and your host department to help you make a smooth transition to living and working at NCNU.

Work Permit

A work permit for foreign professionals is the first document you need to obtain. Once a work contract is signed with NCNU, you will receive the document from the Council of Labor Affairs (CLA) through the University. With the permit, you can apply for your visa at the Taiwan representative office in your country.


Obtaining a visa gives you the permission to enter the country. Foreigners who come from certain countries (with passports valid for at least 6 months) may not need to apply for a visa if their stay is less than 30 days. Those who wish to stay longer than the permitted period should apply for visa so that your stay will be possible without having to leave and reenter Taiwan.

Visitors staying for less than 6 months

If you intend to stay in Taiwan for less than 6 months, you will need the Visitor Visa. All applicants should hold passports that are valid for at least 6 months. You can visit the website of the Bureau of Consular Affairs to check how to apply and what application documents are needed.

Visitors staying for more than 6 months

If you intend to stay in Taiwan for more than 6 months, you will need the Resident Visa. For Resident Visa application, you can visit the website of the Bureau of Consular Affairs to check how to apply and what application documents are needed. You will be permitted to enter Taiwan once you obtain your Visa, but to stay in Taiwan, you have to apply for the Alien Residence Certificate (ARC) within 15 days of your entry. The ARC is your Taiwanese identification, and it authorizes your stay in the country. To apply for the ARC, you need to go to National Immigration Agency and apply in person. You can read more about how to apply for an ARC by visiting the website of the National Immigration Agency. The validity of your ARC may be permitted up to three years depending on your purposes for residence.


NCNU provides on-campus accommodation for full-time faculty members and visiting scholars with limited availability. If you are a regular full time teachers living with spouse, children, parents, or family members with disability, you are eligible to apply for faculty and staff dormitory. The NCNU Scholars Dormitory is suitable for visiting scholars coming for a few months’ stay.


If you are a short-term visiting scholar with a Visitor Visa, you may enroll in the insurance programs provided by various insurance agencies. Scholars who hold an ARC are required to enroll in the National Health Insurance (NHI). National Health Insurance (NHI) is Taiwan’s official medical insurance operated by the Bureau of National Health Insurance in the Department of Health, Executive Yuan. If you are a foreign employee, you can join the NHI as soon as you get your ARC. If you are a foreign visitor with a valid ARC and have resided in Taiwan for more than four months, you must register for the NHI. During the first four months, it is advisable to purchase other insurance plans first.


Office of International and Cross-Strait Affairs

Address: #1 University Road, Puli, Nantao, Taiwan


Tel: +886-49-2912360

Office hours: Mon to Fri, 9am-noon, 1pm-5pm (GMT+8)

Share To: